Wide Eyed Productions will be hosting our third installment of the WINKS staged reading series! This time around, we will be focusing exclusively on new theatrical works of adapted content (meaning plays inspired by other works).
The Double Take Reading Series: A Wide Eyed Look at Theatrical Adaptation
Wide Eyed Productions is excited to continue its work on new American plays like our recent, world premiere production of Dead Special Crabs by Dan Kitrosser and the award-winning Animals by Sam Byron. We had such a good response to the previous seasons of readings, we want the fun to continue.
From March through August 2015, please join us on the first Tuesday of every month at The Drama League, where we will feature a 20-minute segment from three original works by three different writers, which are related to, or inspired by, that month’s theme (see below). At the end of each night, the audience will be invited to select their favorite of the evening anonymously. The majority favorite will be named a semifinalist and be invited to submit a full text* to Wide Eyed Productions’ Artistic Board for consideration for our final round.
Two (or three?) overall finalists will be chosen, and given a full staged reading of their play at the end of the WINKS series, and one winning text will be chosen based on audience and board votes. This winning text will then be workshopped with intent to produce in an upcoming season.
What you need to know:
- Playwrights should currently reside within the five boroughs of New York City.
- The play does not need to be a world premiere.
- The play does not need to be a fully completed text when it is initially submitted.
- Musicals will be considered as long as they are submitted with a music sample.
- Directors and casts will be provided by Wide Eyed Productions, but we love it when you have suggestions for people you love to work with!
- *The full text of the final play is not to exceed a 90-minute estimated run time. Semifinalists will be given a deadline for submissions of full texts.
- All submissions must be received by January 15, 2015.
- Please submit selections of text, treatments, and other support material to firstname.lastname@example.org subject line, the appropriate theme for your play.
- MARCH: Anything But Disney: Adaptations from fairy tales from around the world.
- APRIL: Shake it Up: Adaptations from any of the Bard's many works.
- MAY: In the News: Adaptations from past or current news stories from all forms of media.
- JUNE: It’s All Greek to Me: Adaptations from Greek texts and mythos.
- JULY: myTunes: Adaptations from pop songs, opera and other musical inspirations.
- AUGUST: Page Turners: Adaptations from works of literature.
Wide Eyed Productions exists to bring brave, bold and culturally relevant new texts to production. With a core ensemble of emerging theatre artists, we are dedicated to leaving our audience Wide Eyed.