Monday, April 16, 2012

A Girl Wrote It: Liz White, Actor

Liz White is a proud co-founder of Wide Eyed Productions. She has her Master's in Public Administration from NYU Wagner and her Bachelor’s of Arts from University of Northern Colorado. She most recently performed in A Girl Wrote It with Wide Eyed in 2011 and is happy to be performing again in 2012. Other roles with Wide Eyed Productions include the Nurse in The Medea and Caitlin in A Devil Inside
  • You’ll be performing Judith Goudsmit’s monologue Being Late as part of our upcoming production of A Girl Wrote It. Can you tell us some of your initial thoughts about the piece? How are rehearsals going? 
I loved this piece from the minute I read it and immediately was determined to act in it. It is hilarious! Rehearsals have been interesting. A lot of running around my apartment repeating the same lines…my neighbors think I am crazy. 
  • When did you know that you wanted to be an actor? How did you get started? 
I have been acting since I was a kid. My grandparents put me in a theatre camp because, if you can believe it, I was shy. Shy, but always the first to make a joke and be in the principal’s office. My grandparents got me started really and ever since then it has always been something I have done…even if it hasn’t been full time it has been a big part of my life.
  • Who or what do you consider to have been your biggest creative influences to date? Why?
 I had this amazing teacher named Mr. Callahan. He was my Latin teacher in middle school and he really believed in me. It makes me teary eyed to think of him. He made up things for “the class” to do so I could perform. Love him!
  • What is your favorite part of the creative process before you perform for an audience? Do you have a particular pre-show ritual that you engage in before curtain? If so, can you share it with us? 
 I recently developed stage fright…which is awesome. So for me it is a lot of meditating and talking softly and nicely to myself so I don’t run off stage to vomit. The best part of the creative process is seeing a piece come together. Seeing where it starts and where it ends up. It is so fun.
  • In addition to being an actor, you are also one of the founders of Wide Eyed and serve as the current chair for the company's Board of Directors. Can you tell us a little about what's going on behind the curtain that you're excited about?
I am learning something new every day. I am excited to learn things every day as the chair. I am really excited to take this company to places none of us had never even dreamed. Stay tuned!
  • Are you working on any additional projects at the moment? Care to share with us?
Right now. I am working on White Liars with Andrew Harriss and others. Another funny and well written show. Cannot wait to start exploring the character of Vivian!

1 comment:

Bran said...

Girls can't write! (April Fools - Mari Sandoz is #1 of all time, AND Zora Neale Hurston, Nausicaa, Sappho, Simone deBeauvoir, and my daughter Viviane is starting to be pretty darn good herself!!!)