Thursday, April 19, 2012

A Girl Wrote It: Nate Faust, Actor


Nate Faust is a graduate of the MFA Acting program at The New School for Drama.  His New School credits include:  Max, in Gabe McKinley’s Extinction; John Proctor, The Crucible; Johan Toennesen, The Pillars of Society; Man, The Blue Room (59E59).  NYC credits include: Nan, Punk Rock/Love Song (Horse Trade Theatre Group); Ferd, American RoyalJourneymen (Samuel French Play Festival); Jerry, (The Mekka Collective); and Ira, in Paul David Young’s David & Ira. Look for his latest project, 4 Faces, screening at film festivals this year.  www.natefaust.com   
  • You’ll be performing in Laura Maria Censabella’s Posing as part of our upcoming production of A Girl Wrote It. Can you tell us some of your initial thoughts about the piece? How are rehearsals going?  
I immediately fell in love with the story of Posing. It jumped out to me as a dark fairytale that occurs within the time and space of today and has real consequences for the characters involved. The character of Pete has so much depth and humanity that he feels bottomless at times. There is always another nook or cranny to explore as he finds new places to push his emotions. Rehearsals are amazing. Laura's dialogue is razor sharp and there isn't a wasted word or breath. It feels like every moment is about to burst into a million pieces. Working with Dana is always an honor and Tim has led us in all the right directions to explore these characters honestly and give them the dignity that they deserve.   
  • When did you know that you wanted to be an actor? How did you get started?  
I love film, especially the films from my childhood. Back to the Future, Indiana Jones, Ghostbusters and Top Gun (yes, Top Gun) basically solidified my early childhood fascination with film. My interest (and taste) in film has broadened a bit since my childhood days, but those films always remain close to my heart.   
  • Who or what do you consider to have been your biggest creative influences to date? Why?    
From the moment I started acting, I have been obsessed with the craft of acting. But since my childhood, I have been obsessed with the world around me (e.g. people, relationships, conversations). Everyone has a story and to me, that is fascinating. As far as direct creative influences, that would have to be the amazing group that I was lucky enough to study with at The New School for Drama. The list of faculty goes on and on, and each and every one of them influenced my craft and creativity. I can never thank them enough.  
  • What is your favorite part of the creative process before you perform for an audience? Do you have a particular pre-show ritual that you engage in before curtain? If so, can you share it with us?  
I love the work. Making choices and seeing what sticks. For me, it starts and ends with collaboration. It takes many talented people working together before we get to an audience. My pre-show ritual changes for every project usually evolving out of the specific rehearsal process. Coming out of rehearsal, I tend to be pretty methodical with my preparation for a particular performance. No shortcuts.    
  • I believe this is your first time working with Wide Eyed. We’d like to get to know you a little better. Could you tell us a bit about what you like to do in your spare time?   
I spend most of my free time thinking of ways to occupy my free time. I don't like to sit too long without a project. Like I said, I love film. That's where my mind usually wanders. What's a good idea for a short film? Also music, video games and sports bars.   
  • Are you working on any additional projects at the moment? Care to share with us?   
Hopefully.

No comments: